Written by aggelos
Minestrone is the perfect soup for any day of the year (except the summer months off course).
In Cyprus we are used with our traditional recipes for soups. If someone would like to try something different but still from the Mediterranean region this Italian recipe maybe is the most appropriate.
- 6 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (medium size) finely chopped
- 1 garlic glove sliced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 carrots (medium size) cut in cubes
- 1.9 liters of water and chicken stock (1 cube)
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste
- 3 tomatoes (big size) skinned and cut in cubes
- 145 gr. cabbage sliced (7cm)
- 30 gr. soup pasta
- 2 soup spoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- FRESHLY grated parmesan cheese to garnish
Heat oil in large saucepan, add onion, garlic and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes. Add carrots, celery, the water with chicken stock, tomato paste cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and simmer for further 10 minutes.
Add the cabbage, pasta, salt and pepper and continue until pasta is cooked. Finely we add the parsley and when served we garnish with the FRESHLY grated parmesan.